"Yes, but that’s still a minority! If more women played video games, there would be more reason to have female protagonists!"
I do enjoy a good video game, but it doesn’t really matter to me what gender the protagonist is, he’ll it could be a fucking tree, as long as it’s a good game, I don’t care.
That’s all fine and dandy for you, but in a male-dominated world women want representation. Little girls will grow up on games with mainly male protagonists, wondering where the cool girl was, or why the girl she DOES play as is nothing but eye candy? People need diverse stories, diverse characters, and for the people who do care, it is a big deal. Where are the top games of the year with a strong, amazing female lead? Where’s OUR representation? Don’t we matter? I’m tired of playing some stupid white man, I don’t care how good the game is, this is 2014 goddamnit and it’s time we saw some more strong female main characters. It isn’t nonexistent, but it’s rare. I am sick of seeing most women characters being a damsel in need of saving from your adrenaline junkie male character, I am sick of seeing an airhead, or female there just to sexually frustrate the male demographic as she seduces the main character. I am sick of women just being the love interest more often than not. We want more diverse women. We deserve it.
I may have taught this spider to knit.
I was finishing the last 20 rows at the park, when this little spider wandered over to me, It climbed up my knitting bag, and walked all up and down the piece, then climbed onto my hand and watched me for a couple rows.
After the second row it started waving it’s front four legs as if to get my attention. Once I was looking at it, it started pulling silk from its spinneret, and fiddling with it. I don’t know if it was knitting or purling as it was quite small scale, but every few seconds it would stop and look up at me to see if I was still watching. After a little bit I moved it to one of the vines overhanging the archway I was sitting in, and it went about its business.
This wasn’t the only unusual thing that happened at the park today, but it was the most unusual.
Maybe it thought you were a spider
I’m gonna level with you that’s the fucking cutest shit I have ever fucking heard of okay I want a little spider that knits not sits menacingly above my bed at night threatening to fall into my mouth.
Because we don’t speak about sex, there is no socially acceptable language surrounding it. So the language of porn has jumped in to fill that space, and that’s an issue, because in a male-dominated industry the language of porn is all too often male-generated. The person who coined the term “finger blasting” didn’t have a vagina. The person who coined the term, “getting your ass railed” never got their ass railed. Pounding, hammering, banging… And language matters, because when the only language you have available is abusive and one-directional, in terms of having things done to you, it creates a very weird view of how sex works.
Note to self: visit MakeLoveNotPorn.tv some time. Sounds like a great initiative.
This is just a tool used by white people to make Asian people seem more barbaric and uncivilized than white people. It was part of the Yellow Peril smear campaigns and is still around today! It kinda feeds into the notion that Asian people are always an ‘other’ and are too different to assimilate into white culture.
But yeah I feel you because I mean white people eat horses in Europe still and no one even bats an eyelash.
Destroy the idea that men should respect women because we are their daughters, mothers, and sisters. Reinforce the idea that men should respect women because we are people.
— (via khaleesi-lifts)
As a college student you’re either struggling academically, financially, or emotionally. Or all three.
girls who think they are above other girls because they dont wear makeup or dresses or do feminine things make me want to poke my eyes out
i love GIRLS and i love when girls LOVE THEMSELVES and i love when girls LOVE OTHER GIRLS and this is so AMAZING
sO my friend’s dog died and she lives in new york city and so she had to take it to the vet by the subway and she put the dead dog in the suitcase on the subway and it was a pretty big dog and some dude saw that she was struggling with the suitcase so he asked if she needed help with it and he said do you mind me asking what’s in it and she didnt want to say a dead dog so shE SAID IT WAS A BUNCH OF LAPTOPS SO HE TOOK THE SUITCASE AND RAN AND I JUST
I know my white friends do not mean to hurt my feelings, put me down, or put other Asians down, but here are some things my white friends and even white strangers say often that I am slowly coming to realize are racist or stereotypical:
- Assume that because I am Asian, I automatically have good grades. I work hard for the grades I have, and this reduces my hard work into something I am just given.
- Men (of all races) like to assume that Asian girls are submissive and will not react to harassment in public. When I was 14, a white man exposed himself to me. When I was 16, a group of Iraqi men called me a “sexy Asian” on the street. It was the first time I ever responded to public harassment; I was so angry. When I was 17, an East Asian man pushed me against a glass partition on the train. His face was so close to mine, I had to press my cheek against the partition.
- On that note, I have never let a man holler, expose himself, or invade my personal space without calling them out again.
- As a child of Filipino immigrants, my European immigrant friends try to compare their family experiences to mine. It is not the same. White immigrants have privileges that POC immigrants don’t. My parents’ education and previous work experience does not translate well in the West. My family is composed of professionals and laborers, but they all started in the same place when they immigrated. My parents are the hardest working people I know.
- White people love to appropriate our customs and try to say they’re part of my family or race. Please don’t fucking say “I’m more Asian than you!” if you happen to like something Asian that I don’t care for. Please stop thinking everything is about you.
- Sharing “Funny Asian translation fails” or “Crazy Asian porn fetishes/inventions/other cultural thing.” This is just racism in the form of sitting on your white throne and laughing at all of those crazy, uncivilized Asians with their tentacle porn and “Engrish.”
- Calling me “maganda” (pretty) or some other shit in my language when you’re trying to sell me something in the mall or flirt with me. I’m not impressed by you knowing like two words of my language. I’m also not impressed that some of the first words you probably learned from my language were swear words you asked your Filipino friend to teach you in fourth grade.
- No, my mom wasn’t a nanny. And even if she was a nanny, that wouldn’t have devalued the worth of her work.
And this list isn’t even all of the ridiculous things I’ve heard from people about Asians.
"tumblr is great except for…"
the neo-nazis? the violent misogynists? the white supremacists? the glorification of mass murderers? the blogs committed to telling marginalized people to commit suicide? the pedophiles?
ah, yes, clearly it’s the marginalized people trying to get rights. they are the problem here. because they’re occasionally overzealous. or something.